Monday, December 8, 2014

Catching up over the last few months....

The last few months have been totally wide open for me, and I have had time to finally sit down, catch my breathe and get my blog up to date. This year and especially the last few months have been such an amazing journey from seeing and paddling new waters, to learning more about myself to really connecting to the Lord, my savior. I am truly blessed for all of the talents and abilities he has granted me. I am very thankful for my life, my wife and two glorious daughters, my mom and family that surround me, my close brothers...thank you all for your support and encouragement. A huge and special thank goes out to Wilderness Systems Kayaks and Adventure Technology Paddles for allowing me to be apart of the Pro Staff Family, it is totally my honor.

In late September Nita, my mom, and myself broke away for a week at one of my favorite places here on earth, Pawleys Island. There are many, many reason why I love this area of the world, but one that really stands out to me is, this is where my Dad and I made many lifetime memories that I will always cherish. I was able to beat the rain one day while I was there and raced out to the IC Creek that surrounds the island. I was super excited about getting out in my Wilderness Systems Ride 115 AA and exploring the waterways.
 
I quickly landed a few Lizard fish and was steady exploring the creeks. Meeting up with Johnny Wingfall and talking with him about costal living and fishing was priceless. As I moved north up toward Litchfield Beach I eased back into a long and winding creek, it was like something you see in paddling magazines, heck you might have. I tossed out my orange jerk bait and slam I was hooked up on a really nice Flounder. This Flounder turned out to be my personal best at just over 20 inches and a touch over 5 pounds.
Since getting back form PI ,I have been on a steady adventure almost twice ever month. Dave Davidson and myself lead our hiking group at Brookwood Church up through Jones Gap State Park to Rainbow Falls, up the Ol Boy Scout Trail to Pretty Place, and back to the park entrance. This was a very nice 8 mile hike with unreal views and fantastic fellowship.

 
Next on our list of adventure was Lake Greenwood for our first time ever. Kris and I struck out at the crack of dawn and made our way to an amazing day out paddling new waters. I was very shocked at the beauty of Lake Greenwood, it was nothing like I have ever heard. I was able to land 5 fish off of the first dock I threw at. I was wild, I landed about a 4lb. LMB, 1 Crappie, and 3 Bluegill. If I di not catch another fish that day I was happy. We paddled up to a very beautiful old bridge, and fished for some crappie, but no luck. The bridge made a fantastic backdrop for some quality photos.
 

Our last two big trips have been down to my new favorite place to paddle, explore, and fish...the breathe taking Sparkleberry Swamp located just outside of Sumter, SC. Sparkleberry Swamp is formed from where the Wateree river flows into the upper most part of the Santee Water System on Lake Marion.
I was a little cool in the early morning but the fish were hunger, trying to get nice and fat for the winter. We did an hour or so of exploring, and then we came upon a huge area of small lily pads that remind me of Angus Hole. So I relied on my trusty pink floating worm, and it did not fail. Landed a few small bass, and Kris was staring to figure out the Bluegill and Shell Cracker bite.
We decided to go in for a quick bite of lunch and finish setting up camp, and the swamp was calling our name. We could not wait to get back out, and boy we were not disappointed. The Bluegill and Shell Cracker fishing heated up, it was insane. We could barley keep Red Worms on our Ultra light rods before another strike would hit, and then another one. The action was no stop for four hours and the bases of the cypress trees were producing huge fish and big, big numbers. We finished up a spectacular day with 57 fish, and I landed another personal best, a beautiful Shell Cracker that weighted in over 2.5lbs.
We had such an amazing time at Sparkleberry we were right back down there three weeks later. This time we meet up with Tommy Granger and his fishing partner John S. The four of us pushed way back into the swamp for some of the best paddling around. It is very hard to find words to describe how magical this location is. Tommy and John really showed us some great Southern, Swamp, Heybo hospitality. The fellowship, paddling and fishing was like no other. I will try my best to make it down to Sparkleberry Swamp at least once every two months, but I am going to try and go once a month.
  
The future is going to be huge for us at Palmetto Guide we are planning a few trips that will allow for some wonderful paddling, photos, write-ups, and fellowship. over the next month we are going to hit a local lake and slime Kris's new Wilderness Systems Ride 115 Max Angler, hit the broad river for some smallie fishing with some of the Wildy Crew, make our way to the coast for some trout and red drum madness, and do a snow hike. Be sure to keep your eyes on our Facebook Page for the latest updates on trips and photos.
Over the last few weeks I have been doing some serious thinking and praying about the direction and future moves of Palmetto Guide. From my beautiful and supporting family, to starting Palmetto Guide, to becoming apart of the greatest Pro Staff (Wilderness Systems Kayak & Adventure Technology Paddles), to becoming a true follower of Christ, and not a Fan. I owe it all to H.I.M. and It is time to use my talents that the Lord has blessed me with to give back. I want to reach out and help other discover the true beauty and meaning of nature, and having a personal relation ship with Christ. Pushing forward we will be in the woods on the trial or in the water making waves in His glory. Showing others what nature is really about, and the beauty that God has created for us. We look forward to seeing you out in country.....
 
 

 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment